I’ll skip the whole part where I tell you about how awesome this recipe is and how it works well with our family dynamic and blah, blah, blah…. Here’s what you came for:
2 cups cooked rice (or honestly however much you want. It’s rice, it’s your side dish, go crazy)
1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small green pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 can pineapple chunks, do not drain.
2 carrots, peeled, roll-cut and blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes
1 onion, diced into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup oil (for frying chicken)
1 Tablespoon oil (for stir fry)
1 Tablespoon sesame seed
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon kitchen bouquet
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients for marinade, add chicken breast and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients, and set aside to use later.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a wok; while heating, coat chicken pieces with corn starch. Fry chicken until cooked through, drain and set chicken aside on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Discard the used frying oil and clean wok. Add 1 Tbs oil. Stir fry onion, add in pineapple with juice, green pepper and carrots. Bring to a boil and stir in sauce mixture. Stir constantly until sauce thickens.
- Turn off heat and add the fried chicken back into wok. Heat through.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with rice.
You may also like to serve this with steamed brocolli! Yum.
3 thoughts on “Sweet & Sour Chicken with Rice”